Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Monday, October 5, 2009
Sorry it's been so long since we last posted...here are some updates from our lives in Santo Domingo.
1. We moved! We found an awesome house about 15-20 minutes away from Bayona. Our time living in Bayona was SO worth it. We learned so much about the people and culture we are serving, and built relationships that would have been impossible had we not been living "with" them. But, it was time to move. We love our new home, and it's location! It has provided us with a place to rest, be together, and get away from the stresses of Dominican life. We are so grateful that God provided just what we needed.
2. Avery is 4 months old! She is still a little thing weighing 11lbs, 11oz (but chubby, chubby). She LOVES to make noises. It seems like she babbles all day long. She is still a really good sleeper. All I have to do at night is put her down in her crib, and she's out for the night...no rocking to sleep, and no crying, she just goes to sleep on her own!! (unfortunately its another story for naps). She loves Ridley....everytime she sees him she smiles or laughs. Whenever he is in the room, she watches him and follows him around with her eyes. She loves to grab her toys...and they go straight to her mouth. Last week, she had her first little cold, poor thing. She ran a fever and was really congested and had a bad cough. She was a trooper though, and was still as sweet as ever.
-I have gotten stopped about 10 times by people thinking that I was carrying around a babydoll. Then when they see that she's real, they are shocked. Even those that do know shes a real baby call her Muñekita (little babydoll). I think its the blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and white skin.
3. Her passport and birth certificate got delivered today! YEAH! A little guy brought it on a motorcycle in his backpack. Now we can actually leave the country....I feel like I should be boarding a plane right now to celebrate :)
4. God is doing some pretty awesome things through Elliott. In May he became the Ministry Director for Mission Emanuel. He is now in charge of the 9 Dominican team leaders. It is so cool to see all of the ways he is growing in this new role. I know its hard for him to see the impact he is having down here, but its HUGE. Needless to say, I'm a proud wife.
5. We are going on a cultural retreat this weekend up in the mountains. It is taught by an American woman that has lived in the DR for 26 years. She is going to teach on Dominican culture and values, and how to grow personally while living here. Even though we have lived here for over a year, I think we are going to learn a ton, and that it is going to help us minister more effectively and deeply. I'm also excited to get to spend a weekend in the mountains....cooler weather, I hope!
6. We are missing fall big time. It's still as hot as ever here. We miss the crispness in the air, leaves changing colors, college football, wearing long-sleeves and corduroys, and making chili and pumpkin spice muffins. So, please enjoy those things for us :)
Well, I think thats it for now. Thanks for reading! I'll post some new Avery pics soon...my camera battery is dead and I'm waiting for it to charge.